Nurse Marjorie's Top 5 from Biobridge Asia-Pacific Conference 2018
Posted on 21/03/2018
Biobridge Asia-Pacific Conference 2018 “Generation Regeneration”
On the 24th February in Sydney, Marilou and I had the privilege of attending the Biobridge Asia-Pacific Conference 2018 “Generation Regeneration”. It was a tremendous honour for me to attend a conference like this. This invite-only international conference focused on platelet rich plasma (PRP) treatments. Local and international speakers showcased the latest developments in aesthetics medicine, with a special focus on advancements in PRP.
Platelet Rich Plasma is the healing power of our own blood. It’s a mixture of platelets and plasma taken from a small sample of a patient’s own blood. The blood sample is placed in specially designed tubes which are then centrifuged for about 8-10mins. During centrifugation, a patented gel within the tubes isolates PRP from other unrequired cells within the blood.
A tube of isolated plasma (the yellow liquid) after being spun in an centrifuge.
Throughout our clinic, The Face Place, we offer various PRP treatments for facial and sexual rejuvenation, acne and hair loss treatment.
My top 5 take homes from the conference were as follows:
- Acne and PRP - This topic was actually the one that stood out the most because acne is a distressing condition for both clinician and client. Over 90 % adolescents acquire acne with 12-14 % cases persisting even in adulthood. This condition may cause long term psychological disturbance to the patient as well as compromise in physical appearance. Studies have shown that PRP can smooth the scars, resulting in a better appearance regardless of skin tone. If you inject PRP on acne, it will cause mild inflammation, which triggers the healing cascade and production of growth factors that help to form new vessels for tissue repair.
- Lips and PRP - We all know that dermal filler for the lips is one of the most effective treatments for enhancement. But interestingly, PRP is also a great treatment for lips. It acts by building the tissue inside and out, making it thicker, luminous and plump. Though it does have more downtime than fillers, the results are very promising!
- Alopecia Areata and PRP - Dr Julieta Arambulo from the Philippines gave an excellent presentation about alopecia areata (sudden hair loss that starts with one or more circular bald patches that may overlap) with a thin needle; your own Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) is injected into the scalp. Then, the growth factors in your blood cells do their job and hair growth is naturally stimulated. Our blood plasma (PRP) contains active growth factors which can promote hair growth. Helping to restore one’s confidence, the end result is a fuller, healthier looking head of hair.
- Cellular Matrix Facelift - Another outstanding was topic the 3D cellular matrix facelift. It’s a revolutionary new method of PRP application, which can lead to a firmer, youthful volume, more radiant and hydrated skin.
- The OShot - One of my favourite topics was the OShot - invented by Dr Charles Runels. The O-Shot procedure can treat both stress and urge urinary incontinence for 90% of women. Many women experience uncomfortable vaginal dryness and urinary incontinence caused by aging, pregnancy, menopause and other medical conditions. Urinary incontinence can affect women of all ages, but it's most prevalent among older women. The OShot is a natural, painless, and simple non-surgical procedure with no downtime that uses the growth factors from your own blood to reduce stress incontinence and can rejuvenate and revitalise sexual function.
Learning and training never stop. I am always beyond excited whenever I learn new techniques and knowledge from the experts that I can apply into my practice.
From your Senior Nurse, Marjorie.
Back to News