Lines and Wrinkles
What causes facial wrinkles?
Facial wrinkles are caused by a number of factors;
Dynamic lines - these are wrinkles that are caused by contraction of the muscles of facial expression. Repeated compression of the skin along these lines breaks down the collagen fibres which support the skin to form specific lines and wrinkles. Initially, these wrinkles can only be seen when the muscles contract e.g when you smile/frown, however, as the skin becomes progressively creased, the lines may often appear at rest.
Loss of facial volume - When we are younger, our face is more plump and full like a luscious grape, and as time passes, this volume is lost making it more like a sultana. Fat around the eyes, cheeks, and forehead are depleted. This loss of volume leads to some bagginess of skin and the formation of wrinkles. Loss of facial volume also results in an older, more gaunt appearance, as is often seen with dramatic weight loss. Non-surgical facial reshaping with dermal fillers can help to replace this lost volume - improving both wrinkles and the overall youthfulness of the face.
Gravity - The inescapable pull of gravity draws the skin downwards on the face. This leads to drooping of the cheeks and formation of nasolabial lines (the lines from the corners of the mouth to the nose) and jowls, drooping of the eye skin and formation of upper and lower lid laxity and wrinkles.
Sleep lines ā These are caused by the compression of the skin from contact of the pillow to the face when sleeping. Their location is determined by the underlying attachments of the muscles of the face. Pillow contact puts pressure on these attachments and causes sleep lines. Sleep lines can often be found on the forehead, around the eyes, cheeks and upper lip, and are not created by muscle contraction.
How can wrinkles be treated?
Dynamic lines are generally treated with muscle relaxing injections into the specific muscles that create your lines and wrinkles. In addition to treating grumpy frown lines, horizontal forehead lines and lines around the eyes, an advanced doctor can use these treatments for lines around the lips, nose, chin, and neck.
Muscle relaxing injections can also be used to re-balance the face. Relaxing muscles that pull the face down (such as the ādown-frownā muscles at the mouth corners, and the muscles that pull down the brows) can give a lifted and more open appearance to your face. These treatments can also be used for jaw slimming to create a more oval face, or to improve a gummy smile.
Beautiful, natural looking results can be achieved with these treatments when your doctor has a thorough knowledge of the muscles of the face, and an artistic eye to create balance in your face. There is an art to BOTOXĀ® treatments ā they need to be placed in the correct muscle, in the right place, at an appropriate dose. Your treatment will be tailored to your face, and lower doses are often used initially, to ensure the results look natural.
Replacing volume loss is an effective way to rejuvenate the face. Dermal fillers can be used to fill deeper lines (often combined with BOTOX treatments for best results), Also, by strategically adding volume to certain areas of the face such as the cheeks, under eye hollows (tear troughs), lips, and brows, it is possible to lift and rejuvenate the face non-surgically.
What treatments are available?
- BOTOXĀ® therapy: to relax the muscles that form dynamic lines to soften and prevent lines forming. May be combined with dermal fillers for deeper lines.
- Dermal fillers: to soften existing lines in the face, and refill jowls, cheeks and chins to soften existing lines and create a lifted appearance.
- ReFirmeā¢ Skin Tightening: to stimulate production of new collagen and gently tighten loose skin in the face and neck without surgery.
- Omnilux Reviveā¢: Stimulates your skinās natural repair, improving collagen production and giving your skin cells more energy. Over a course of treatments fine lines soften and skin appears fresher. Can also improve recovery after injectable treatments.
- Omnilux Plusā¢: Stimulates cells at a deeper level, and when combined in a course of treatments with Omnilux Reviveā¢, fine lines and wrinkles soften more effectively.
- EnvironĀ® Medi Facials: to thicken and hydrate aged or dry skin to improve the appearance of the skin and reduce lines and wrinkles.
- Medical Grade Skin Care: To prepare the skin, stimulate normal healthy function of the skin and maintaining it for best results.
To find out which treatments are right for you, contact us for a personalised consultation with one of our skin experts on 0800 COSMED.