Last year was undoubtedly one of the most challenging years for us all. But on the positive side, as with all challenges, there came an opportunity for personal growth and for looking after ourselves better. Here are some of my tried-and-tested wellness tips, plus some new gems which are well worth adopting in 2021.
- It is absolutely OK not to be OK all the time. We are not physiologically designed to live under the amount of stress and pressure we currently experience, so it is NORMAL to have days when you feel like you are falling apart.
- Wear sunscreen EVERY DAY and makeup with sun protection. From my amazing experiences at The Face Place I have learned so much about keeping my skin healthy, but the biggest message of all is that to keep your skin looking as youthful as possible for as long as possible, protecting it from sun damage is KEY!
Taking a bit of time to invest in yourself is key.
- “Wherever you are, be all there”. Be with who you are with. Giving someone your full attention is the most valuable thing you can share with them.
- Do your very best to go to bed at a CONSISTENT time. You will find it much easier to fall asleep if you are able to keep yourself in a routine, and of course, ideally avoid screen time too close to bed.
- Be sure to get outside, EVERY DAY (with your sunscreen on!). Your eyes need to be exposed to natural light for at least 20 minutes a day, ideally in the morning, to remind your body that you aren’t in hibernation and it is time to be awake! It also boosts your natural antidepressant serotonin too.
Getting outside is something to aim for every single day.
- Giving to others makes you feel good. I am currently doing a diploma in Positive Psychology and one of the biggest things I have learned so far is the power of sharing when it comes to our mental wellbeing. Helping others helps us too.
- Be OK with saying no thanks. We CANNOT do it all. Something has to give. It is OK to say no sometimes.
- Feeling anxious? Check in with your caffeine intake. Caffeine has a long half life meaning that it stays in your system a looooong time. Have a coffee or tea at 11am, ¼ of the caffeine with still be in your system at 11pm which will affect the QUALITY of your sleep. It will not stop you going to sleep necessarily, but is likely to mean you wake up still tired! Keep to less than 3 shots of coffee a day or about 5 cups of tea. Less is better too, especially if you struggle with anxiety.
- Look after yourself. You LITERALLY cannot be there for others if you aren’t in a good space yourself. Sometimes the best thing you can do for others, is do something for you! A session under the Healite is like a mini holiday I always look forward to 😉
Gotta love the warm glow of the Healite!
- Double your veggies. It is so simple, but so effective. Have veggies in your smoothies, salads or soups for lunch and a good ½ plate of veggies EVERY NIGHT with dinner. Having a good plan each week for what you eat is a great place to start.
Wishing you the best of health and wellbeing in 2021,
Claire is a nutritionist, author and speaker as well as a friend of The Face Place. She has also now been on a skincare journey with us for several years.